Site Hosted by Alucard Inchoate Ltd

Glasson Branch

The arm drops down the Conder valley to the bottom lock, running through the marshland of Glasson basin and large boatyard, used mostly by sea going yachts and contain British Waterways moorings. Double Bridge, bridge 85, is at the end of a rocky cutting and the junction with the Glasson Branch section of the canal.
The Glasson Branch goes west and connects the Lancaster Canal to the River Lune Estuary, via Glasson Dock.This branch was completed in 1826, some time after the main canal was completed and provides the only link for the canal to the sea. The branch has six wide beam locks and were very well built, using the same principles as the locks on most of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. The top gates are kept locked for obvious reasons, keys available from the British Waterways.
An Arlen Hire Craft at Glasson Spur Entrance
After use the top gates must be closed and locked, leaving the locks empty. During the summer months, usually on Bank holidays, this branch is used a lot, carefully monitored by British Waterways to ensure water levels in the main canal are maintained at an acceptable level. Glasson Dock will take boats up to 95 feet long, 24 feet wide and 12 feet draught. Twenty four hours notice is required for anyone wishing to use the main lock or take up mooring in the basin. The locks in the Glasson Branch will take boats up to72 feet long, 14 feet wide and 4 feet draught. Keys are required to operate these locks.